Buy a Gift Voucher
Baby Chick Class
Rest in Pieces invites you to attend an introductory, hands-on workshop where you can explore the fascinating age-old practice of taxidermy.
Rest in Pieces founder and owner, Natalie Delaney-John, will share her knowledge of the dying arts so you can begin your journey into the art of taxidermy: taxis, meaning ‘arrangement’ and derma, meaning ‘skin’.
You don’t need to have any previous taxidermy experience to take part in this workshop. Nat will teach you basic chick anatomy while guiding you through the correct process of skinning, preserving and mounting your specimen.
There are different techniques used for mounting mammals and birds in taxidermy. In this workshop, you will learn the traditional torso building technique of soft body wrapping to mount (recreate) the body of your baby chick. You will also learn how to preserve the chick’s feet with injections.
At the end of the workshop you will have created your own beautiful baby chick taxidermy from start to finish. To end the day, we will help you mount your baby chick in a glass dome, so you can display your gorgeous work with confidence.
Everything will be supplied on the day including your baby chick, tools, glass dome and base, an apron, lunch and a selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages so that you can sit back, relax and enjoy the day. (Note, alcoholic beverages are only available for students 18+)
If you are feeling inspired and want to continue working on your new taxidermy skills once you get home? When you register for the workshop you can book a ticket with a take home kit.
Ticket + Kit contains:
- A frozen baby chick to work on at home
- A complete set of the same tools and materials used in the workshop (excluding a glass dome and base)
- A set of instructions so you can follow the same process used in the workshop
We also have other merchandise available to complement your take home kit such as glass domes and RIP aprons.
To make life easier, you have the option to choose instalment billing at checkout. We recommend booking early so your payments are spread out.
- If you have your heart set on taking our intermediate rabbit taxidermy workshop, you will need to complete our beginner rat taxidermy workshop or DIY Revival Kit first.
- If you are flying in for the workshop and want a take home kit, you will need to have checked-in luggage as the sharp items will not be accepted in hand luggage.
- Make sure to let us know about any dietary requirements when you register.
- Unfortunately, our studio is not fully accessible for wheelchair users. Do you have other accessibility requirements? Please contact us before you register for any of our workshops to make sure we can make the necessary adjustments to give you a great experience.
- The anatomy of a baby chick
- How to skin, flesh and preserve your specimen
- How to display your baby chick in a glass dome
- Your very own baby chick to work on
- All the tools required for your taxidermy experience
- A glass dome to mount your specimen in at the end of the day
- Camera or camera phone
Dress in layers to suit a Warehouse climate
Anyone over the age of 16 with a curious mind and love of science, animals or art
We understand that sometimes you just can't make a class. The best thing to do is to
contact us as soon as you can to let us know. If you give us 2 weeks notice, we can
offer to transfer you to the next scheduled class. This will incur a $10 admin fee.
If you need to cancel, with two weeks notice or more we will refund the full price of the
workshop, minus $50 booking fee, less than two weeks and we will refund 50% minus
$50 booking fee.
Unfortunately we wont be able to offer refunds for cancellations or transfers received
last minute - the day before the workshop or on the day of the workshop.
Anyone partaking in any classes or coming to any events at Rest in Pieces or organised by Rest in Pieces must agree to these terms and conditions.
1.) LIABILITY WAIVER
I agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by Rest in Pieces.
2.) PHOTO & VIDEO
I agree to give Rest in Pieces unrestricted publishing rights for any photographs or videos taken at Rest in Pieces classes and events or on Rest in Pieces's premises. (For use of Rest in Pieces marketing materials).
See refund section
In the event that a class is cancelled, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a full refund or credit.